I call this ‘superpowers soup’ because it contains Vitamins A, B and C and is full of essential amino acids…so you’ll feel as if you have ‘soup’erpowers (terrible puns are my specialty)!
…Oh and it tastes nice too.
- 20 ml Olive Oil
- 1 Finely chopped white onion
- 2 peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 Crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 cup of dried red split lentils (rinse them before using)
- 1 heaped spoonful of marmite- oh yes!
- 150 ml Water
- Optional: Croutons and sesame seeds
- Add the oil to a deep, large saucepan and turn the heat on to medium.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and stir until the onion has softened (it will look more translucent).
- Add the carrots, and continue to stir the vegetables for 5 more minutes.
- Add the spices, tomato and lentils and bring the entire lot to the boil, then lower the temperature until the mixture is simmering. At Continue to cook the mixture for 25- 30 minutes.
- As the lentils cook they will absorb liquid and the mixture will thicken. Keep water handy and add this during the cooking process in small quantities to thin out the soup and to allow the lentils to soften and soak up the moisture. The amount you add is ultimately up to you as it depends on how thick you would like the consistency.
- Once the lentils have softened and cooked, turn the heat off. At this point, add the marmite and thoroughly stir through the mixture.
- Then, using a hand blender, whizz up all the ingredients until the soup is smooth. At this point, more water can be added, if desired.
- Sprinkle on croutons and sesame seeds.