- 10 stalks of Asparagus
- 1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 handful of pine nuts
- Prepare the balsamic reduction to set aside (see bel0w).
- Lightly steam your asparagus for approximately 5 mins. I think they are best a little ‘al dente’ so I’d recommend keeping an eye on them as you do this- wait for them to darken slightly and don’t allow the stems to wilt. You really will only need to steam them for a few minutes.
- Toss the steamed asparagus over a bed of leaves such as rocket (watercress would also work), add parmesan shavings, pine nuts and drizzle over the parmesan reduction!
How to make a balsamic reduction:
- Add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar to a saucepan and cook on the lowest heat possible.
- Stir continuously with a wooden spoon to avoid burning.
- Water will evaporate off to produce a thick, ever so slightly sticky dressing than you know is ready when you scrape your spoon through the pan and the liquid takes a couple of seconds to fill the gap (super scientific eh?!).